Friday, July 30, 2010

Craft and Hobby Show at Rosemont Theater

Dorothy and the Ugliest Sweater Ever
Today was fun.  The Show was gigantic, colorful, interesting, delightful and entertaining.  Some of us from NIC taught crochet at the Craft Yarn Council of America's booth.  I was busy almost the whole four hours.  My voice started getting scratchy so I took a break and got something to drink to let it rest.  I taught young and old and in-between, inexperienced, some knew a little and even experienced crocheters who saw me crocheting cables, and wanted to see how I did it.  I thought it was funny, me teaching them cables when a week ago I couldn't crochet cables!!!  Another one wanted to learn the Afghan stitch but we hadn't brought an afghan hooks, so she went to another booth and "borrowed" one so I could teach her.  It was great watching her catch on and see where she had gotten confused by trying to do it from reading a book.  I saw an older lady watching us and I invited her to sit down even tho she knew how to crochet.  I told her to sit and rest a bit and we can talk about crochet.  she learned as a child, and knew a lot about the art.  Sharing her experiences was really a nice thing for both of us.  I know the greatest gift we can give to anyone is to listen to them -- and I did that today, too.   I also talked to the Crochet Dude, Drew Emborsky.  I follow his blog and have seen him on TV a few times.  He really is funny, and told us he learned how to crochet at the age of 5 when he and his many siblings were snowbound and the mother was looking forf something to keep the 5 year old busy during the snow storm.  It worked, and he never stopped crocheting either.  I got a photo of the two of us together.   I also met some friendly people and after my shift was over and I was checking out the booths, some of them stopped to talk with me with big smiles all the way around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive